Sunny Lounge

Sunny Lounge

Monday, February 10, 2014

Only 40 winks!?

So, as cat owners know, sleep is a very important part of a cat's life.  They are the kings of the napping world.

Sunny, of course, is not exception to this rule and who can blame him?  Besides, let's face it.  There are few things cuter than a sleeping cat.  If you browse through Flikr, there is actually a group called "My Sleeping Cat" which is completely dedicated to photographs of somnolent felines.  You can get cavities just browsing through the pictures.

What has always amused me is the positions which cats find conducive to slumber.  Now, there are some that you see, which are perfectly normal.


Here, his majesty stretches out on my bed, blissfully slumbering amidst the soft comforter and sheets, dreaming of catching mice and being rewarded with treats.  He looks so comfy and sweet.  There are soft warm things and this is a perfectly comfortable position.  I get it.  This makes me want to curl up in the bed with him.

Then there's this:



In what world is this a comfortable sleeping position?  I mean, seriously.  A contortionist would look at this and cringe at the thought of the sore muscles and aching joints that would result from spending any length of time like this and yet Sunny is sleeping away, blissfully unaware of the sympathetic aches and pains he is transferring to his astonished caretaker.

He does have two other sleeping habits which I find adorable.  The first is that, like his owner, he snores.  I don't know what it is about those sweet little snorts that makes me smile, but there it is.  I'm a sucker who finds the sound of her snoring cat utterly enchanting.  The other one is when he plays Undercover Kitty.


If you look closely, next to the pillow and against the back of the couch, there is a tail sticking out from beneath the fuzzies.  Undercover Kitty strikes again.  As I sit here typing, I have a huge grin on my face, because Undercover Kitty is currently snoring to beat the band under that purple throw next to me on the couch. He seems to have a bit of a cold, so it's really loud. It just makes me giggle.  

One of the sweet things about Sunny is that he likes company when he naps.  I had a couple of back to back business trips to Dallas with my old job.  On the weekend in between, I also had a commitment for Saturday.  I came home to a very upset baby.  My friend who was going to stop in on him had a week of life smacking her in the head, and her ex-husband had pulled one of his really nasty tricks, so she totally forgot (much to her horror, since she's such a huge animal lover!) to stop in.  There was not much food left in his bowl when I got home and he was SO happy to see me.  Cats don't like to see ANY of the bottom of the bowl, so only a quarter of a cup of food left is pure terror!

I decided that rather than drive up and spend Friday with my friends as originally planned, I would spend the night at home with my lonely boy.  I was up and out early the next morning, not returning until late at night.  Then, I got up Sunday and went straight to sing at church.  When I got home Sunday afternoon, I went upstairs to go to the bathroom.  Sunny had been sleeping on my bed and immediately rolled onto his back to get some attention.  His well applied use of ridiculous cuteness had the desired effect.  I went to the bathroom quickly, then joined him on the bed for some scritches and kitty time.  After a minute or two, I decided that napping with him was just what I needed as well, so I stretched out next to him.  All was right in both of our worlds and nothing could be sweeter than drifting off together for a nice nap.  An hour or so later I awoke.  We both got up and went downstairs.  He happily crunched away at his food in his full bowl (bliss!) while I fixed myself an early dinner.  Cooking complete, I sat down to enjoy my meal as Sunny gave himself a good grooming.

I put the dishes in the sink and sat down on the couch with my laptop to catch up on emails and Facebook posts.  Sunny had gone down to use his own facilities, then came running up the basement stairs, through the living room and straight for the next set of stairs.  He sat down on the landing and looked at me.  His running pulled my attention from the screen to see him sitting there staring.

"What?" I asked him.  He looked up the stairs, then looked back at me.  A moment later he looked up the stairs again and then back at me.  I smiled.  "I'm sorry baby.  I need to finish off these emails and can't go take another nap with you."

He blinked at me, took a big breath and let it out with a "humph."  Then, he turned and ran up the stairs to my bed.

Obviously the silly human did not have her priorities straight.

Naps should always come first!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah. The 'go to bed now' thing is part of Das Whamph's day. He gets to where momma and pop-pop are dawdling, and not heading into bed WHEN HE WANTS US TO. So we get the mrrooow! now momma! now! now! And then when we say 'show momma what-want' he will go into the bedroom and jump right up on the bed, then look back at us expectantly. If we don't come to bed he tries again, and again. And sometimes he gets to where he won't leave us alone until we go to bed.

    At least we don't stay up too late.

    ReplyDelete