Sunny Lounge

Sunny Lounge

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Let's play

It's said that the ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as deities, and cats have never forgotten.

Sunny, definitely falls into this category.  He is a kitty with dignity and poise.  He knows his own beauty and has a very regal air about him.  Just in case you don't believe me, here's a picture of himself lounging on a silk pillow on my couch.


Do you have any doubt that this is a creature who believes he was placed upon this earth to be worshiped?

Given that this is Sunny's natural state, there is nothing funnier than when all of that is forgotten and goes by the wayside for play.  Sunny can be one of the most playful cats ever.  It's not just the hunt instinct, which is of course the trigger for it.  He likes to be silly.  He knows that whatever toy he or I have picked out is not actually an animal to be killed, but he doesn't care.  It doesn't take much, either.  A piece of yarn tied to the end of a stick is one of his favorite things to chase.  He will run at it, sometimes, not even bothering to try to catch it, just bouncing himself off of whatever furniture is closest to scrabble as he hits the hardwood and bolt into the other room, or up the stairs.  He will run at something and jump around in its general vicinity without actually trying to grab it.  He's just having fun and I've given him a handy excuse to drop his dignity like a hot potato.

His look changes a bit when he's playing.


Goodbye dignity, hello crazy eyes.  This is Sunny, having wrapped himself in a piece of string, which he valiantly conquered.  Yes, when it comes to playtime, he is a complete goofball.

One of Sunny's favorite toys is a gift from my niece.  She and some friends braided up some polar fleece and he will happily leap and jump to get a hold of it, as you can see here (just ignore the laundry being sorted!)


The one dangerous part of that toy is when we both misjudge...me on timing and him on where the toy ends and my hand begins.  Let's just say that my hand is a little worse for the wear at the moment.

Play is great exercise for cats, so I've tried to make sure I do it every day with Sunny.  The biggest problem is that while he's getting healthier, he's also gaining energy, so he wants to play more.  That's fine for the moment while I'm home, but it could prove interesting once I have a job again.

In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy those moments when my deity deigns to come down to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment